Sunday, March 30, 2014

GMO's (Minor Essay)

Recently, I attended a seminar here in DLSU which is about GMO's or genetically modified organisms. Here is my take on the issue.

At first, I found the seminar very ironic. This was because the speaker is a bio technologist and she is conducting seminars against biotechnology. However when I thought more about it, the fact that the speaker was a bio technologist, that makes her very credible and that makes her claims more believable. I already have knowledge of some of the facts that she presented. Such as bt corn, what biotechnology is and many more. However, she explained this things farther and those made things clearer. I was already aware of what Bt corn was but she explained how widespread bt corn in the Philippines actually was. Also, because of the speaker, I know that the farmers in the Philippines are against bt corn and are pro native. Also, I now know that the farmers are forced to plant genetically modified organisms particularly corn even though they prefer to plant native corn. At the back of my mind, I know that most of the food that I eat is genetically modified. I also know that there are rumors about go's having some effects and being cancerous. The speaker explained the diseases that gmo's can cause. What I didn't like about the seminar was that the speaker was very biased. I know for a fact that there are also good things that gmo's can contribute however, the speaker only focused on the bad side of gmo's and biotechnology. I would appreciate the seminar more if it explained both the good and bad side of gmo's. The main goal of the speaker was to make a movement on which products which are gmo's will have labeling on them. I support this because I want the people to be informed of the products that they consume because this has a impact on their health.

No comments:

Post a Comment